Card image

Free Traffic Ticket Case Evaluations. Call Now. (315) 364-1155

Traffic Defense Articles

5 Ways to Lose a Driving Privilege in New York

by Seth Azria on 3/01/2020

 Suspensions related to traffic infractions may come from the DMV or may be initiated by a court. Here a quick review of 5 causes with the potential fixes. 

Court Initiated Suspensions

Court initiated suspensions often are the cause of Unlicensed Aggravated Operation charges. AUO or, driving on a suspended license, is a misdemeanor in New York. Misdemeanors are, by definition, punishable by up to a year in jail. In practice however, we rarely see jail time fro an AUO. Typically, the driver clears the suspension and we are able to negotiate a reduction of the charge. 

A court will direct the DMV to suspend a driving license if a driver:

1. Fails to answer or appear for a ticket; or,
2. Fails to pay a fine to the court. 

Fix: Reply to the Court

When the court reports a driver to the DMV for one of the reasons above, the DMV will send a notice to the driver that their license will be suspended on a certain date if no corrective action is taken.  Typically, the driver will have 30 days to take the corrective action. 

If they do not, the suspension will go into effect and the driver will have to pay $70 to lift the suspension. This suspension lift fee only lifts the suspension, the driver still must pay the fine or address the ticket.

DMV Initiated Suspensions

The DMV keeps track will suspend a driving license if a driver:

3. Acquires 11 points or more on their license in an 18 month period; or,
4. Acquires 3 speeding or misdemeanor convictions in an 18 month period, regardless of the point total.
5. Junior License convicted of a serious traffic violation. 

If a driver has a DJ or MJ junior license, the DMV will suspend a license for 60 days if the driver is convicted on any “serious traffic violation.”  In general, a serious traffic violation is any that carries 3 or more points. Therefore, all speeding tickets would be considered serious.

Fix: Restricted Use Licence 

For drivers suspended by the DMV, a restricted use license might be available for driving to necessities like work and school.

Fix: Changing Your Record

It is sometimes possible to change your driving record by reopening old convictions and substituting a more serious conviction with a less serious one. 

The legal procedure to do this is called a motion coram nobis. If you have been suspended for excessive convictions, please call us at (315) 364-1155 to see if we can change your driving record.

Need help with your ticket?

Don't plead guilty. Ask us first.

Our experienced traffic defense lawyers are always available to talk to you about your case.

Free Consultations. Call Now. (315) 364-1155


Azria & Bruffett PLLC BBB Business Review

Google+ Review

Azria & Bruffett (Seth, Habib and Monica) represented my case for a speeding ticket. I am so thankful for all of their hard work and expertise in helping me resolve this issue. They always responded to my communications in a speedy manner. It would be my pleasure to recommend their firm to others in need of legal service. Once again, thank you for your awesome representation!!

Google+ Review

Extremely pleased with this Law Firm. Super easy to work with online, everything was handled wonderfully, with full communication during every step in the process. I would highly recommend this firm to anyone.


Can't talk now?

Schedule a time for a lawyer to call you when it's convenient.

 Schedule a Call for Later

Top Rated Award Winning Law Firm in Syracuse

Azria & Bruffett Law Firm has handled thousands of cases all over New York State. We have extensive experience to help us inform, predict, and handle your case smoothly. Our traffic defense lawyers handle nearly all tickets pending in most of the courts and counties below:

Albany, Allegany, Broome, Cattaraugus, Cayuga, Chautauqua, Chemung, Chenango, Clinton, Columbia, Cortland, Delaware, Dutchess, Erie, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Genesee, Greene, Hamilton, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Livingston, Madison, Monroe, Montgomery, Niagara, Oneida, Onondaga, Ontario, Orange, Orleans, Oswego, Otsego, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Schuyler, Seneca, St. Lawrence, Steuben, Sullivan, Tioga, Tompkins, Ulster, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Wyoming and Yates counties.